KYBELLA® is the only FDA-approved injectable treatment that destroys fat cells under the chin to improve your profile. Improves the appearance of moderate to severe fat below the chin known as a “double chin.”
You don’t have to be overweight to have fullness under your chin. And sometimes, no matter how much you exercise or diet, the condition may not go away. Both men and women may be affected by submental fullness, which can be caused by: weight gain, genetics, and/or aging.
The active ingredient in KYBELLA® is synthetic deoxycholic acid. Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, KYBELLA® destroys fat cells, resulting in a noticeable reduction in fullness under the chin. Once destroyed, these cells can no longer store or accumulate fat, so further treatment is not expected once you reach your desired aesthetic goal.
Before & After
- For 7 days prior to treatment, avoid taking aspirin, fish oil, vitamin E, and any NSAID’s (Non steroidal anti inflammatory agents such as Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Ibuprophen). This allows natural healing mechanisms to take place in the body.
- Avoid alcohol consumption for 48 hours before your treatment.
- If you have places to go after treatment and think you may feel self conscious, you may find it beneficial to wear a turtleneck or scarf to your appointment to help hide the swelling.
- Plan your appointment at least a couple weeks in advance of any parties, weddings, or large events.
- On the day of your procedure, apply ice for 10 minutes of every hour.
- Do not massage or manipulate the swollen area.
- You can take 2 pills of Extra Strength Tylenol if significant discomfort occurs.
- Sleep with your head slightly elevated if possible for 2-3 nights.
- You may shower, wash your face, apply moisturizers and sunscreens as you regularly do the day after your treatment.
- You may apply arnica cream/gel to expedite the bruising process.
- Avoid exercise for 3 days as it is known to worsen swelling.
It is normal to have significant swelling, numbness, hardness, lumpiness, tingling, redness, tenderness, and bruising. Some men may see areas of no hair growth afterwards, which should return to normal in 4-6 weeks. Most swelling occurs immediately and the day following treatment, and will start improving by day 5.
If you have any concerns not listed, please call our office at (208)292-8315. If you have difficulty breathing or swallowing please visit the emergency department of your local hospital.
If you plan to have another Kybella treatment, this may be done 4 weeks from your last.